Re: DateStyle causes drama during upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: DateStyle causes drama during upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> We used pg_dump in various ways, all with the date style "iso"
> but always some of the dates appeared to be translated wrong.
> Eventually we worked out that even though the datestyle was
> set to "iso" on both machines, the old postgres read it as
> "ISO with european conventions" whereas the new postgres read
> it as "ISO with US conventions".

> This is the postgresql debian package 7.0.2-3.
>
> PS. I thought we'd left behind all the US/non-US datestyle
> distinction when we all started using ISO format (yyyy-mm-dd).
> That was somewhat naive of me, huh?

I've been bitten by this too.  It seems that there are two
characteristics for the dates: format (for output) and 'conventions' for
input, and that 6.5 -> 7.0 changed from defaulting to European
conventions to US conventions.

I suspect this is Debian specific.

Perhaps there should be a way of setting the conventions side of things
in the /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init like there is a way of setting
the format?

Regards,
                    Andrew.
            Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew@cat-it.co.nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64 (21) 635 694, Fax: +64 (4) 499 5596, Office: +64 (4) 499 2267