Re: Return PGresult - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Smith
Subject Re: Return PGresult
Date
List pgsql-general
anuj wrote:

> Hi,
> PGresult is a structure.
> I want to return PGresult pointer.(Code is given below.)
> Is this possible ? if yes , please give me the solution.
> Thanks in Advance.
> Anuj
> ===========================
> /* tempdb=>create table tbltemp (id int4, name varchar(30)); */
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <pgsql/libpq-fe.h>
>
> main()
> {
>     int totalrec;
>     PGresult *resu;
>     dbQuery("tempdb","select * from tbltemp",&totalrec,resu);
>     printf("\n The total rec  = %i\n", totalrec);
>     printf(" The total rec  = %i\n",  PQntuples(resu));
> } /* End of main */
>
>  dbQuery(char * dbName, char *sqlstatement , int *totalrec,PGresult *res)
>  {
>       PGconn     *conn;
>       char fullsql[500];
>       conn = PQsetdb(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, dbName);
>       res = PQexec(conn, "BEGIN");
>       PQclear(res);
>       strcpy(fullsql , "DECLARE mycursor CURSOR FOR ");
>       strcat(fullsql,sqlstatement);
>       res = PQexec(conn, fullsql);
>       PQclear(res);
>       res = PQexec(conn, "FETCH ALL in mycursor");
>       *totalrec = PQntuples(res);
>  }
> ===========================
>
> Out put :
> $
> The total rec  = 2 // This result is right.
> The total rec  = 0 // The same result is not showing.
> $

Try
dbQuery("tempdb","select * from tbltemp",&totalrec,&resu);
and the function declaration
dbQuery(char *dbName,char *sqlststatement,int *totalrec,PGresult **res);
and then within the function reference it as *res=

--
Dave Smith
Candata Systems Ltd.