Re: Trouble with RPM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From DAROLD Gilles
Subject Re: Trouble with RPM
Date
List pgsql-general
Lamar Owen wrote:

> > The better way is to get the tarball and do a fresh compilation, you will
> > learn more about postgres (see the INSTALL file and other documentation).
> > And then all your files will go in /usr/local/pgsql by default !
>
> You know, it's responses like this that make me think... why do I pour
> so much energy in trying to get the RPM's right?  And then I remember
> all those folks that have thanked me for the good RPMs.

Sorry but I don't want to minimate your well done work. I just want to say
that installing some software distribution (postgresql or others) need
to take a look of what it is, what there are and where do it goes. If you
don't
know about rpm, typing rpm -i package.rpm it's very simple and powerfull but
it's just like installing binaries and no matter if it really works or not.
Wait and
see !

> RPMs are in no way comparable to Win.  But, then again, if you want to
> really learn X, or the linux kernel, you should really go do the
> 'roll-your-own-distribution' thing -- not use RedHat at all.

I'm agree with you, I use RedHat because it's easy to install and I don't want

to spend all my time to intall. Why not at all ? I just do rpm -e  and
reinstall
Postresql with the last version with all customization needed.

> The RPM's have been built to simply and easily allow things that are not
> easily possible with the standard tarball installation -- such as not
> having the postmaster/backend on a client-only system.  Or picking and
> choosing amongst the clients.  Or not having to have the source taking
> up space after the system is built.  Some folks actually want to run
> PostgreSQL on secure boxen that won't even have a compiler installed --
> such as my production database server.

Agree, this is the power of rpms... I just asked a question about rpm because
in few years perhaps no one will read the readme and install files which are
certainly plain of important informations. But perhaps we'll never need them
anymore.

> And, if you build from source, and put everything in /usr/local/pgsql,
> you have all that added work to get everything working right.  If you
> just simply want to _use_ PostgreSQL to get some work done, then there
> is nothing at all wrong with using the RPM set.

Yes, where are the files ?

> As to 'DLL Hell' -- thanks to the way rpm works, you are never in danger
> of this -- rpm -ql package-name gives you a complete list of files in a
> particular rpm.  The companion 'rpm -qf /some/file/some/where' gives you
> the inverse, showing what package a file belongs to.  Of course, you do
> need a recent RedHat distribution -- but you need that anyway.  (I am
> working on getting the source RPM to build on other
> distributions/OS's....)
>
> Comparing the RPM installation to Win is a low blow -- so, yes, it does
> strike a nerve.

Sorry for your nerve this was just and informative reflexion not a comparison
otherwise I promise you I'll never use rh anymore :-) I understand that my
message
heart you a little, I don't like such of words on my work...

I like rpm, especialy for system update.

Congratulation !

Gilles