Re: pg_dump & blobs - editable dump? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: pg_dump & blobs - editable dump?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Philip Warner wrote:
> At 10:13 12/07/00 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> >Philip Warner wrote:
> >> I'll obviosly need to be passed a directory/file location for the script
> >> since I can't pipe seperate files to stdout.
> >
> >uuencode the blobs, perhaps, using a shar-like format?

> For the human readable version, the request was to make it editable and
> sendable to psql. As a result the BLOBs need to be in their binary format
> OR psql needs to support BLOB import from stdin. As a first pass I was
> hoping for the simple 'dump them into files' solution.

If in a shell archive format, shouldn't it be easy enough for pg_restore
to be made to do the stdin-to-blob thing (through whatever mechanisms
you're already using to get the blob back in in the first place,
combined with some steering/deshar-ing/uudecoding logic)?  The backup
could even be made 'self-extracting' as shars usually are... :-) Of
course, you then have to be on the watch for the usual shar trojans...

If we simply know that the backup cannot be sent to psql, but a
deshar-ed version can have the schema sent to psql, would that
ameliorate most concerns?

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio