Re: Benchmarks? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ned Lilly
Subject Re: Benchmarks?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Bruce,

At Great Bridge, we've run the AS3AP and TPC-C benchmarks against two major
closed source DBMS packages, one open source database, and one other
database that's getting ready to go open source.

Some of these companies are squirrelly in their licenses about mentioning
them by name in published benchmark results, but we've got a crack team of
public relations people hard at work on a clever way to let the world know
what we've found.  Hint:  It's good news for Postgres users ;-)

We'll be releasing our findings shortly, probably next week, on this list
and elsewhere.

In the meantime, one thought in the "apples to apples" category - MS SQL
Server of course only runs on NT/2000.  Postgres has been ported, through
cygwin, to that platform; you could also install Linux on the same class of
Intel box and run Postgres directly.  But in either case, I'm not sure it's
an entirely accurate comparison.

Of course, the thing with benchmarks is that they really only give you
directional data anyway - when you really learn is when you tune your
particular application for a particular platform.  But we hope that our
benchmarking work - which was really part of our internal learning and
discovery process in forming our company - will be of use to the broader
open source community, and perhaps trigger another round of high-end
professional testing.  Stay tuned...

Ned Lilly
VP, Hacker Relations
Great Bridge, LLC