Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this morepalatable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ned Lilly
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this morepalatable?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron, probably the best example to reassure you here is Illustra/Informix,
which is based on the old Berkeley Postgres code.  A group of people at
Berkeley "forked" the Postgres code into the closed Illustra system, but it
survived as Postgres95, then later PostgreSQL when Marc and Bruce got
started.

As a number of people have said, if someone (like Great Bridge or anyone
else) ever took the then-current PostgreSQL code proprietary, it would still
remain as an open source project - and believe me, there are plenty of
people who would rather work on it as an open source project than a
proprietary death-spiral.

We think the proprietary software development model for large scale projects
(operating systems, databases, wide-ranging applications) is stupid and
dead.  We don't think open source is going away - in fact, we think it's the
way most software is going to be developed in the future.  There will
certainly be companies that try and fork off open source projects and make a
quick buck; they will fail.

As I understand your concern, you don't want to make a learning investment
in something you think is open source, only to have it go closed?  I think I
can safely say that PostgreSQL as an open source project will never go away
- the momentum is too strong, the product is too good, the developers are
too committed, for that to happen.

Best,
Ned