Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sevo Stille
Subject Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> We had a *very* old version of PostgreSQL running on a Pentium acting as
> an accounting/authentication backend to a RADIUS server for an ISP
> ... uptime for the server itself was *almost* 365 days (someone hit the
> power switch by accident, meaning to power down a different machine
> *sigh*) ... PostgreSQL server had been up for something like 6 months
> without any problems, with the previous downtime being to upgrade the
> server ...

At a previous employer, there is still a database running that has not
seen a crash downtime ever since early 1996 - the only few downtimes it
ever saw were for a rare few postgres, OS and hardware upgrades. As
there have been no cries for help on any database or reboot issue ever
since I left (I still am appointed as the DB admin in case of any
trouble), it must be getting close to two years uptime by now, and that
literally unattended.

Sevo

--
sevo@ip23.net