Re: responses to licensing discussion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gilles DAROLD
Subject Re: responses to licensing discussion
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have some problem to understand why you have to change the PostgreSQL
Licence
agreement. You are really making confusion into my mind. For me I have this
licence
come with all my distributions :

    PostgreSQL Data Base Management System (formerly known as Postgres,
then as Postgres95).

    Copyright (c) 1994-7 Regents of the University of California

    Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
    documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written
agreement
    is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this
    paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies.

     etc...

This the most open licence you can do, isn't it ?

It just come a commercial company and things must change, why ? There's
already companies
saling PostgreSQL as a commercial product (see Adabas or Ingres it's looks
like Postgres !).

If you do OSS and give all the code to the community for free, what do you
have to be protected from
that is not done ?

Your discussion seems to applies to all current programmers of PostgreSQL,
but what about
the olders, are they agree with this ? And if the copyrigth belong to the
University of California
what programmers can do to protect their works ?

Apology my poor understanding but it smell something wrong for me.  Is
PostgreSQL Inc. have
the same need than Landmark/Great Bridge concerning this licence migration
?

Regards,

Gilles DAROLD