Re: Sharing more infrastructure between walsenders and regular backends (was Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Sharing more infrastructure between walsenders and regular backends (was Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication)
Date
In response to Re: Sharing more infrastructure between walsenders and regular backends (was Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication)  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Responses Re: Sharing more infrastructure between walsenders and regular backends (was Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication)  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 4 October 2012 17:23, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps we could make walsenders even more like regular backends than what I
>> was proposing, so that the replication commands are parsed and executed just
>> like regular utility commands. However, that'd require some transaction
>> support in walsender, for starters, which seems messy. It might become
>> sensible in the future if the replication command set gets even more
>> complicated, but it doesn't seem like a good idea at the moment.

> It's come up a few times now that people want to run a few queries
> either before or after running a base backup. ...
> Andres suggested to me the other day we make walsender more like
> regular backends. At the time I wasn't sure I agreed, but reading this
> it looks like a sensible way to go.

That was what I was thinking too, but on reflection there's at least one
huge problem: how could we run queries without being connected to a
specific database?  Which walsender isn't.