Re: pg_dump versus ancient server versions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump versus ancient server versions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 11:00 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Actually, I think we do.  If I want to test against 7.4, ISTM I want
>> to test against the last released 7.4 version, not something with
>> arbitrary later changes.  Otherwise, what exactly is the point?

> 1. You're free to check out any commit you like.

Yeah, and get something that won't build.  If there's any point
to this work at all, it has to be that we'll maintain the closest
possible buildable approximation to the last released version.

> Oh, OK. I wonder how that plays with the buildfarm status page's
> desire to drop old results that are more than 30 days old. I guess
> you'd just need to force a run at least every 28 days or something.

I don't think it's a problem.  If we haven't committed anything to
branch X in a month, it's likely not interesting.  It might be worth
having a way to get the website to show results further back than
a month, but that doesn't need to be in the default view.