Re: Debugging shared memory issues on CentOS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Debugging shared memory issues on CentOS
Date
List pgsql-performance
> It's tempting to say, "there should be a limit to backend local cache"
> but it's not clear if the extra tracking is really worth it all things
> considered.  There was some discussion about this (see the archives).

Yeah --- there actually was a limit on total catcache size once, long ago.
We took it out because it was (a) expensive to enforce and (b) either
pointless or counterproductive on most workloads.  The catcache is
probably the least of the memory hogs anyway, so it might be that limiting
the size of relcache or function caches would be more useful.  But that
memory is likely to discourage most hackers from investigating.

            regards, tom lane