Re: TODO: Determine optimal fdatasync/fsync, O_SYNC/O_DSYNC options - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: TODO: Determine optimal fdatasync/fsync, O_SYNC/O_DSYNC options
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> "Performs best" is pretty elusive.   On Solaris 10, for example, fdatasync
> does best on pgbench on x86, but opendatasync does best on DBT2 on Sparc.
> I'm not certain we can really determine this with any accuracy.

Yeah, if it were easy we've have done it already :-(.  One thing that
would be useful though is to try to gather datapoints like the above
for a range of different operating systems.  Even if we could tell
people "here are the two or three settings worth trying for your OS",
we'd be ahead of the game.