Re: 7.0 RPMS and syslog problem. (more) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: 7.0 RPMS and syslog problem. (more)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Schout <mschout@gkg.net> writes:
> > Upon further investigation, I found that when the hostname is broadcast to everyone, the following also appears in
/var/log/messages:
> > May 17 09:28:11 galaxy
> > May 17 09:28:11 galaxy syslogd: Cannot glue message parts together
> Hmm.  We were just discussing this a few weeks ago, when someone
> suggested making the syslog option be the default and I wanted to
> know if it was really robust enough for that.  Seems it's not.

> So I'm afraid the answer is that syslog and verbose logging won't
> play together, at least not on your platform.  Sorry.
> We really need a better logging answer...

Splitting the logging message out to syslog in tprintf() (or its
replacement) would work, if we knew the syslog gluing buffer maxlen.  A
'packetized' logging system of this sort might work....

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio