Re: Berkeley DB license - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Berkeley DB license
Date
Re: Berkeley DB license
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > At 11:13 AM 5/17/00 +1000, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> >
> > > Why do you even need wrappers? You just link with libpgbackend.so and
> > > call whatever functions you want. Or would the agreement say something
> > > like you can only call postgresql functions that are not part of
> > > sleepycat?
> >
> > Yes, the agreement would state that only the PostgreSQL application
> > could call the Berkeley DB interfaces directly.
>
> Well then, let's start looking into the options.  I know Vadim has a new
> storage manager planned for 7.2, so he is going to look at the sleepycat
> code and give us an opinion.

Just curious,

But is he *allowed* to view the code? I realize its pseudo-Open
Source, but to my understanding one cannot even look at GPL code
without fear of "infecting" whatever project you may be working
on. If Vadim looks a the code, decides "Nah, I can do this in two
weeks time" and then the overwrite system appears in 7.2 aren't
there issues there?

Mike Mascaru