Re: Unhelpful initdb error message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Unhelpful initdb error message
Date
Re: Unhelpful initdb error message
List pgsql-general
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> On 6 March 2012 18:20, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Still, I agree with your point: Thom should reboot and see if the
>> misbehavior is still there, because that would be useful info for his
>> bug report.

> After a reboot, initdb completes successfully.  I don't think it
> performed an fsck of any kind as I don't see it in the logs.

Fascinating.  So maybe there is something to Bosco's theory of something
holding open the old pidfile.  But what would that be?  The postmaster
doesn't hold it open, just write it and close it.

            regards, tom lane