Re: Regression tests fail with tzdata 2024b - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Wolfgang Walther
Subject Re: Regression tests fail with tzdata 2024b
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane:
> Also, as a real place to a greater extent
> than "PST8PDT" is, it's more subject to historical revisionism when
> somebody turns up evidence of local law having been different than
> TZDB currently thinks.

I now tried all versions of tzdata which we had in tree back to 2018g,
they all work fine with the same regression test output. 2018g was an
arbitrary cutoff, I just didn't try any further.

In the end, we don't need a default timezone that will never change. We
just need one that didn't change in a reasonable number of releases
going backwards. Once America/Los_Angeles is changed, we need to switch
to a different zone, which could be one that wouldn't work today. Kind
of a sliding window.

One positive might be: With this timezone, we are more likely to see
relevant changes mentioned in the upstream release notes.

Best,

Wolfgang