Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] Proposed Changes to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Bitmead
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] Proposed Changes to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
Don Baccus wrote:

> >No research is required. I simply want to implement the ODMG STANDARD
> >for ODBMS databases on PostgreSQL. There are no great design issues
> >here,
> >just a matter of nailing down the details so that everyone can live
> >with them.
>
> Well...that's sorta like saying no research into procedural language
> design is needed 'cause now we've got C++.
>
> Whether or not the existing standard for ODBMS is the greatest thing
> since sliced bread, I find it hard to believe that no research is
> required or design issues raised by the fundamental problems of
> database technology.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, though, maybe the problem's been solved.

No research is required _for what I want to do_. (or if there is
research required, I think I've just done it over the last 5 years :).
i.e. I don't want to explore some new style database, only implement
a current ODMG standard on postgresql. This style of database is
fairly well understood now for good or bad. Once the RDBMS and ODBMS
features exist in one database, maybe then research can be done
to move forward. That's my opinion anyway.