Re: [GENERAL]COPY still running - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arnaud FLORENT
Subject Re: [GENERAL]COPY still running
Date
List pgsql-general
J. Roeleveld" a écrit :

> > Hello i start yesterday afternoon a COPY command into a table.
> > the file is 15 Mb
> > i've set triggers before and after insert on the table
> > the before trigger just perform data check.
> > the after trigger update a 10 000 rows linked table.
> >
> > the COPY command runs all the night ad has not yet finished...........
> >
> > what is the problem????
> >
> > PostgreSQL 6.5.2 running on Pentium II debian server use 98% CPU...
>
> I had a similar thing once, while compiling a program, it took the computer
> 28 hours to complete. (on a P200)
>
> My best guess is is that it's still running, make a quick check that the
> main
> process is still running. The action you are doing requires not just alot of
> CPU-power, but also a lot of HD-read and writes.

the postmaster is still running and the database grows (it is not very fast but
it grows and is now 60Mb large......)

is thare a way to stop the copy command wihtout crashing the database?
--
 Arnaud FLORENT

 phone: (33) 03 20 65 85 80
 fax: (33) 03 20 65 85 81