Re: [HACKERS] off topic - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Davis
Subject Re: [HACKERS] off topic
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks for all the responses.
I really have the heart of doing this all the time but I dont have the will.
I have 3 kids and a wife and I enjoy boating, hiking etc. I just cant seem to find the extra time. I like the idea of
convincingwork to let me work on projects like this.

I was surprised that nobody fit into category 5.
I assumed you were all young kids w/o wife and kids and could spend all your free time on this. ;-)
Actually I think about doing something like this when I make my first million and retire.

thanks again
bob

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> It's a learning experience. This project touches all the interesting
> aspects of computer science at once.
>
> Also, I have no life, of course.
>
> On 2000-01-20, Robert Davis mentioned:
>
> > I know this is off topic but...
> >
> > How do the programmers here get paid?
> >
> > 1. You do this in your spare time and dont get paid.
> > 2. Your day job encourages you to spend some of your time developing the db that your company uses.
> > 3. There is an organization that accepts money and distributes it to the hackers.
> > 4. You are all independently wealthy and do this for the fun of it.
> > 5. You are still living at home with mom and expect one day to get a real job from this.
> >
> > Seriously
> > My friend and I were talking about the open software movement and how great it is and he keeps on asking how people
likeus get paid.

> > Basically my friend and me are the type that like to stay home and not visit customers and just solve problems and
writecode. Probably a lot like all of you.