Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump core dump, upgrading from 6.5b1 to 5/24 snapshot - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump core dump, upgrading from 6.5b1 to 5/24 snapshot
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ari Halberstadt <ari@shore.net> writes:
> Using pg_dump with 6.5b1 on solaris sparc crashes with a core dump. This
> means I can't keep backups and I can't upgrade my data model without being
> able to export the old data.

> On Bruce's suggestion I tried upgrading to a recent snapshot (in this case
> the one from 5/24). When I killed the old postmaster and started the new
> postmaster I got the following error in psql:

Hi Ari, I believe there's been at least one initdb-forcing change since 6.5b1,
so you're right, you can't run a newer postmaster until you have
extracted your data.
 But I think what Bruce really had in mind was to run pg_dump out of
the latest snapshot against your 6.5b1 postmaster.  That should work
as far as compatibility issues go.  If we're really lucky, the bug has
been fixed since then --- if not, it'd be easiest to try to find it in
current sources anyway...
 The coredump is happening in pg_dump, right, not in the connected
backend?