Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed Loehr
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We don't have roll-forward logging until 7.1, and require vacuum
> regularly.  Other than that, I don't know of any major issues.
> Reliability has always been of primary importance.  We wouldn't be where
> we are today without reliability.

Here's an idea:  How about a web poll on www.postgresql.org to assess the
current state of affairs from the user's perspective?  That would have
several advantages.  First, it's pretty easy to do.  Second, if there are,
in fact, few or no outstanding major reliability issues, that's good to know
and provides firmer footing for feature planning (also great marketing
fodder).  Third, it could provide a quantitative baseline for future
comparisons, helping everyone to get warm fuzzies when measurable
improvement appears.  Most importantly, it would provide an opportunity for
corrective action if by chance current assumptions are wrong.

Cheers,
Ed Loehr