Re: [GENERAL] Interbase replacement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Warnock
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Interbase replacement
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce,

> > critical (at least for some)
> > - support for Windows 9x
>
> This is a huge leap for us.  Only if cgywin can be ported to it.  That's
> the only way we got to NT.

The cgywin page at cygnus says that windows 9x is supported but that
some api calls are not available there.

I would seriously like to help move this forward if possible - how? I am
not a C coder, but have Win 9x available on 1 box.

> > - transaction log with roll forward from backups
>
> That will be in 7.1, due in 6 months.

Wonderful.

> > - relational integrity via foreign keys
>
> That will be in 7.0, due in a few months.

Excellent.

> > Would it be possible to find ways to pay postgresql developers to add
> > these things? We would be very happy to pay several $1000 for these and
> > it might be possible to find others from the Interbase community.
>
> Money always helps, but we already have most of what you need coming.

I know Postgresql has nearly all we need. For our apps if we could get
the Win 9x it would be fine already.  Thats why I am encouraging the
interbase people to look here.

> > I know that we have discussed Win 9x before and that there are technical
> > issues. I am hoping that with funds ways around these could be found.
>
> Win 9x seems like a HUGE leap for us.  Where is cgywin on that?

See above, who is the best person to drive this forward and check if the
required bits are all there?

Thanks for all your work.

Dave