Re: Let's drop two obsolete features which are bear-traps for novices - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Let's drop two obsolete features which are bear-traps for novices
Date
Re: Let's drop two obsolete features which are bear-traps for novices  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 11/02/2014 11:53 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, the OID compatibility issue could be dodged by saying that we can't
>> do a pg_upgrade (in-place upgrade) of a database containing MONEY
>> columns.  In fact, we might be able to just reject databases containing
>> MONEY[] (array) columns, which seems like it might be only a minor hazard.
>> Either way, requiring a dump/reload for upgrade is surely a better answer
>> for users of the type than just summarily screwing them.

> Well, OK, yes, if we're prepared to abandon pg_upgrade-ability.

Not following your point?  Removing the type entirely would certainly
break pg_upgrade-ability as well.

>>> In any
>>> case, contrib shouldn't be a rubbish heap of old deprecated features.

>> There's a fair amount of contrib that was never anything else, so I don't
>> agree with that reasoning too much.

> Maybe my memory is failing. What in contrib is stuff that used to be in
> core?

Nothing that I recall at the moment, but there is certainly plenty of
stuff of dubious quality in there.  I'd argue that chkpass, intagg,
intarray, isn, spi, and xml2 are all in worse shape than the money type.