Re: [HACKERS] pid file for postmaster? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pid file for postmaster?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 01:33:37AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > it. I think the pid file could be placed under $PGDATA. Opinions?
> > $PGDATA seems like the right place to put the file, since we can only
> > have one active postmaster at a time in a database directory.
>
> Ehem, I think the correct place would be /var/run. At least that's what the
> filesystem standard says IIRC.

But that forces us to distinguish between several running backends, with the
main aim of _not_ allowing two distinct backends to be run from the same
$PGDATA.

we could of course start naming them like /var/run/pgsql.pid.for.var.lib.pgsql

Hannu