Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> writes:
> Le 28 janv. 09 à 16:22, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> a écrit :
>> The only way to keep the dev window open longer is to overlap the
>> start of the next cycle with the previous one. i.e. branch new version
>> before final release.

> This is the second time the idea is raised and I like it.

> Do we have anywhere near enough resources for this to happen?

No.  The key committers are overstressed already.

It would also pretty much guarantee that we get *no* help during review
and beta, because everyone else will find it more interesting/fun to
work on new patches instead.  The current system at least gives
non-committer developers some motivation to help with that stuff,
because they know their patches won't be looked at until beta is over.