Re: list of extended statistics on psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: list of extended statistics on psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 12:33:29PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I wonder how to report that.  Knowing that psql \-commands are not meant
>> for anything other than human consumption, maybe we can use a format()
>> string that says "built: %d bytes" when \dX+ is used (for each stat type),
>> and just "built" when \dX is used.  What do people think about this?

Seems a little too cute to me.

> I'd use the same approach as \d+, i.e. a separate column with the size.
> Maybe that'd mean too many columns, though.

psql already has \d commands with so many columns that you pretty much
have to use \x mode to make them legible; \df+ for instance.  I don't
mind if \dX+ is also in that territory.  It'd be good though if plain
\dX can fit in a normal terminal window.