Re: Postgresql Docs.... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Postgresql Docs....
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: Postgresql Docs....  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: [HACKERS] Re: Postgresql Docs....  (Peter Eisentraut <e99re41@DoCS.UU.SE>)
List pgsql-hackers
> > > I notice that the postgresql docs say that postgresql is a public domain
> > > program, while they really carry a Berkley copyright.  You might want to
> > > correct this for the next release.
> > > http://www.bbin.com/pd/
> > Ooh. I guess I'm not familiar with the fine points here. Our
> > Berkeley-style license allows use, modification, sale, gift, theft,
> > etc. of the software with only one provision: that the copyright
> > notice remain intact. Clearly, this copyright notice is designed to
> > protect UCB from rabid lawyers once the software is no longer under
> > UCB's control, and this copyright allows any and all of the above
> > uses, and any other use also.
> > So what about this would not be considered public domain software?
> Something can not be both Copyrighted and in the public domain.

Hmm. I've taken this on-list, just in case someone else has a comment.
But in the absence of alternate information, I'll just assume that we
are not public domain software. But I sure still have the feeling that
we are getting gypped by the legaleze.

Thanks for the heads-up...
                       - Thomas

South Pasadena, California