Re: How export from 8.2.4 down to 8.1.8 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How export from 8.2.4 down to 8.1.8
Date
List pgsql-novice
Andreas <maps.on@gmx.net> writes:
> I'll have to export from 8.2.4 down to 8.1.8 because our provider runs
> Debian Sarge and can't offer a newer PG.
> I tried to pg_dump a plain-text backup an run it through 8.1.8's psql.
> That failed because of syntax errors.

In general the only answer to this type of situation is hand editing of
the dump file to deal with any syntax additions.  For this particular
combination of versions, however, some experimentation suggests that you
can get away with using 8.1's pg_dump to extract data from the 8.2
server (you'll have to give it the -i option).  You might have a bit of
difficulty with custom aggregates, but in a quick test I didn't see
anyplace else where 8.1 pg_dump failed to cope with the 8.2 system
catalogs.

But having said that ... I'm pretty sure your provider could run 8.2
if he wanted to.  Doesn't Debian offer backports?

            regards, tom lane