Re: PDT but not WEST - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PDT but not WEST
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> writes:
> Actually, given that pg_timezone_abbrevs is based on the
> timezone_abbreviations GUC, I'm not surprised that it is a subset of
> what is in pg_timezone_names. But I am a bit surprised that the opposite
> is true.

For zones that observe DST, pg_timezone_names only shows you the active
abbreviation, but pg_timezone_abbrevs includes both summer and winter
abbreviations.  Also, there are some zones that have alternate
abbreviations that will never show up in pg_timezone_names
(ZULU and Z for UTC, for instance).

            regards, tom lane