Re: Request for replication advice - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: Request for replication advice
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/11/06, Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> wrote:
> > "Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> > > So, my question for the list is: is Slony + log shipping the direction
> > > I should be investigating, or is there something else out that I ought
> > > to consider?
> >
> > Those are two different methods: you'd use one or the other, not both.
>
> Slony has its own log shipping, I think that was what he was referring
> to.

Indeed I was; sorry if my terminology caused confusion.

The reason I am looking at Slony with log shipping is that it can
operate across a one-way connection, whereas plain Slony requires
communication in both directions.  A bi-directional connection would
negate the purpose of having two separate databases, which is to
protect the internal database (and the internal network as a whole)
from a compromised external system.

If we were willing to have a bi-directional connection, I don't see
any further disadvantage in allowing the external application(s) to
connect straight into our internal postgres database over the IPsec
tunnel, and ignoring the replication issue entirely.