Re: DB is slow until DB is reloaded - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rosser Schwarz
Subject Re: DB is slow until DB is reloaded
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Madison Kelly <linux@alteeve.com> wrote:
> As for autovacuum, I assumed (yes, I know) that all v8.x releases enabled it
> by default. How would I confirm that it's running or not?

I believe it's not enabled by default in 8.1-land, and is as of 8.2
and later.  Whether it's running or not, try "SELECT * FROM
pg_autovacuum;".  If that returns the null set, it's not doing
anything, as it hasn't been told it has anything to do.

IME, however, if you really want to benefit from the autovacuum
daemon, you probably do want to be on something more recent than 8.1.
(And, yes, this is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black: I have a
mixed set of 8.1 and 8.3 hosts.  Autovacuum is only running on the
latter, while the former are queued for an upgrade.)

rls

--
:wq