ALTER Table and CLUSTER does adding a new column rewrite clustered? (8.4.3) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Carey
Subject ALTER Table and CLUSTER does adding a new column rewrite clustered? (8.4.3)
Date
List pgsql-performance
v. 8.4.3

I have a table that has several indexes, one of which the table is clustered on.  If I do an ALTER TABLE Foo ADD COLUMN
barinteger not null default -1;

It re-writes the whole table.

* Does it adhere to the CLUSTER property of the table and write the new version clustered?
* Does it properly write it with the FILLFACTOR setting?
* Are all the indexes re-created too, or are they bloated and need a REINDEX?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-altertable.html
  does not seem to answer the above, it mentions the conditions that cause a rewrite but does not say what the state is
afterthe rewrite with respect to CLUSTER, FILLFACTOR, and index bloat.

Thanks in advance!