Re: [HACKERS] libpgtcl and array fields return format - PROPOSAL - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] libpgtcl and array fields return format - PROPOSAL
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> For the moment, the current syntax helps PgAccess. It returns exactly
> the same format as it would be used to INSERT INTO queries so if you
> would try to define a table with an array field of strings for example
> you are able to add records and update them directly from PgAccess.
> From that point of view, the new array field return format would give me
> headaches for Pgaccess in order to restore the {"..","..",".."} format
> used for updating records.
> Am I missing something about the *input* format?

No, that is the issue I was bringing up. Perhaps we at least need
"convert to/from" functions to help with formatting arrays??

> On the other hand, I have discovered in the libpgtcl source that there
> is a TCL_ARRAYS that if defined, would return array fields format
> exactly as a tcl list. But it is not defined anywhere. I think that the
> behaviour of libpgtcl should be consistent so should we define
> TCL_ARRAYS by default in the next release?

So this is what you were proposing anyway, right? Or would you have
other changes to make too?
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California