question about pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scot Kreienkamp
Subject question about pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I have a question about pg_dump backups.  Will changes made in the database made during a pg_dump operation be reflected in the dumped datafile?  Or is the data the exact dataset that was in the database as of the start of the backup?

From what I understand of the documentation, any changes made during the backup would NOT be in the dumped datafile.   That is very important for a monthend process where I need consistent data as of exactly the time the dump starts, which is why I’m confirming that is indeed the case.

Thanks,

Scot Kreienkamp

skreien@la-z-boy.com