Notes for SGI Irix users - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alessandro Baldoni
Subject Notes for SGI Irix users
Date
List pgsql-general
Dear SGI friends,
    Please try NOT to compile PostgreSQL (any version) with gcc on Irix.

Due to a problem in the generation of the code of semaphors and other
structs, any PgSQL binary produced with gcc will be buggy.
More information on this subject at
    http://reality.sgi.com/ariel/freeware/howto.html
Look for the section "gcc vs. cc" (I fought with gcc and PgSQL one month
before discovering this page...)
Try instead to use the native cc compiler: I compiled PgSQL 6.5
yesterday (Irix 6.3 on O2 R10000, cc 7.1, gmake 3.77) and lo'! amazing
performance increase!! I still think the large object subsystem to be
broken, but since I don't use it anymore, I didn't try it out.

Bye
Alessandro