Re: pg_dump to a remote server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_dump to a remote server
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/16/2018 06:43 PM, Ron wrote:

> On 04/16/2018 07:18 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 04/16/2018 04:58 PM, Ron wrote:
>>> We're upgrading from v8.4 to 9.6 on a new VM in a different DC.  The
>>> dump file will be more than 1TB, and there's not enough disk space on
>>> the current system for the dump file.
>>>
>>> Thus, how can I send the pg_dump file directly to the new server
>>> while the pg_dump command is running?  NFS is one method, but are
>>> there others (netcat, rsync)?  Since it's within the same company,
>>> encryption is not required.
>>
>> Maybe?:
>>
>> pg_dump -d test -U postgres -Fc | ssh aklaver@arkansas 'cat >
>> test_cat.out'
>
> That looks promising.  I could then "pg_restore -jX".

More promising would be the suggestion from Michael Nolan:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAOzAqu%2BVpOfzBHwcqptSzm3PkeZAjkqqc0XqB%2BA-jBNioU6x%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com

"Can you run pg_dump on the new server, connecting remotely to the
current one?"

It eliminates two programs(ssh and cat) and a pipe.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com