Re: [HACKERS] Help a newbie? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rafael Kaufmann
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Help a newbie?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> There is a fair amount of stuff in the Administrator's Guide,
> Programmer's Guide, and Developer's Guide parts of the manual.
> It won't all make sense on first reading, but I'd certainly recommend
> reading those parts of the manual thoroughly.

I already did, but not very carefully. So I'll be sure to read those
again. Nonetheless, the absence of a text specifically detailing the
inner workings of the system

<SNIP>

> A really useful trick is to set up a full-text index of the source tree
> (I use 'glimpse' from http://glimpse.cs.arizona.edu/) so that you can
> easily find all the uses of a particular routine, look for the place
> where a particular error message is generated, etc.

I'll be sure to get Glimpse running as soon as I have a stable release
of LinuxPPC R5 (for which I've been waiting since December) on my box.
(Yes, that does mean I'm still stuck with the mockery of a system that
is the MacOS... don't flame me)

> If you want to delve into the actual database algorithms then you should
> have one of the standard database textbooks at hand (anyone care to
> recommend some titles?).

So I guess that means I'll be paying computerliteracy.com a little
visit, yes? (Or is there stuff like that available online?)

<SNIP>

> Welcome aboard!

Hey, thanks! :)

--