Re: Make printtup a bit faster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Make printtup a bit faster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andy Fan <zhihuifan1213@163.com> writes:
> Just to be clearer, I'd like work on the out function only due to my
> internal assignment. (Since David planned it for PG18, so it is better
> say things clearer eariler). I'd put parts of out(print) function
> refactor in the next 2 days. I think it deserves a double check before
> working on *all* the out function.

Well, sure.  You *cannot* write a patch that breaks existing output
functions.  Not at the start, and not at the end either.  You
should focus on writing the infrastructure and, for starters,
converting just a few output functions as a demonstration.  If
that gets accepted then you can work on converting other output
functions a few at a time.  But they'll never all be done, because
we can't realistically force extensions to convert.

There are lots of examples of similar incremental conversions in our
project's history.  I think the most recent example is the "soft error
handling" work (d9f7f5d32, ccff2d20e, and many follow-on patches).