Re: dbase converter - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Sneed
Subject Re: dbase converter
Date
List pgsql-general
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] dbase converter
>
> > > Is there a dbase3 <=> postgresql converter available at all? I found
> > > dbf2sql v2.2 which converts to (but not from) Postgres95, with notes such as
> > >
> > > -p  primary:
> > >     Select the primary key. You have to give the exact
> > >     field-name. (Only for dbf2msql, Postgres95 doesn't have a primary key)
> > >
> > > which of course PostgreSQL does. Anyone know of something more recent?
> >
> >    I heared about some project called "xbase". Try to search FreshMeat for
> > "xbase", "dbf postgres" or such...

dBase III+ & IV have two commands (COPY TO filename TYPE filetype &
APPEND FROM ) which allow you import & export a table as a
comma-delimited (or a specified delimiter) ASCII text file
....Postgresql allows you to COPY TO/FROM xxxx USING DELIMITER 'y'  a
text file....of course both tables will have to have the same
structure.... this isn't as tedious as it sounds once you do a few
dbase <=> postgres exchanges...

....Bill Sneed, Prospect, Maine....