Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle
Date
Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:05 PM, justin <justin@emproshunts.com> wrote:
> I would like to see them even if PostgreSql comes dead last.

Well, running an official TPC benchmark is an interesting process.
First, you have to have a spec-compliant benchmark kit, which we
don't.  Second, you have to work with a hardware vendor, and none of
the vendors are going to work with you if you can't make their
hardware look good; they don't want to come in last even if it's due
to your software.  I know, I talked to three of the major hardware
vendors.  Lastly, it costs a fair amount of money and time to perform
an audited benchmark, which I don't think the community wants to pay
for.

> Does that not prove the point Oracle is over price software compared to the
> competition.

That depends on whether you need the performance or not.

> The only way to verify the results is duplicate the test and given these
> servers cost from $100K to $10million  its unlikely these test are verified
> by a 3rd party running independent hardware.  From where i come from for
> result to be proven  someone else must duplicate the results independently
> with only instructions  given by the original tester.

Perhaps you should download a full disclosure report of a TPC
benchmark.  First of all, they're all audited.  Second of all, every
configuration detail is provided for you to be able to run the test
yourself.  In fact, if you have a good enough reason to do so (i.e.
looking to buy a good amount of software), both Oracle and Microsoft
will give you copies of their benchmark kits for evaluation purposes.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com