Re: Multi CPU Queries - Feedback and/or suggestions wanted! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Multi CPU Queries - Feedback and/or suggestions wanted!
Date
Re: Multi CPU Queries - Feedback and/or suggestions wanted!  (Greg Stark <greg.stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Greg Stark
<greg.stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> I couldn't get async I/O to work on Linux. That is it "worked" but performed
> the same as reading one block at a time. On solaris the situation is
> reversed.

Hmm, then obviously you did something wrong, because my tests showed
it quite well.  Pull the source to iozone or fio.

> In what way is fadvise a kludge?

non-portable, requires more user-to-system CPU, ... need I go on?

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com