Re: MySQL Con 2008 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: MySQL Con 2008
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Dec 13, 2007 12:56 AM, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > I think the "replace/upsert" feature
> > is one that some postgresql users ask for.
> >

> i think the only ones who do are mysql converts, given none of the other
> commercial db's offer that syntax (afaik).  note there are sql standard ways
> of accomplishing it; though currently neither of the two systems support it.

Huh?  We run into this all the time from non-MySQL people.  Oracle had
UPSERT and now Oracle, DB2, and SQL Server all support MERGE.

FWIW, I'd say it's a pretty big missing feature that can currently
only be worked around in a hackish PL sort of way.  I know Jan was
kicking around some ideas for it, but I don't know what happened after
that.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301