Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/20/07, Rod Taylor <rod.taylor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do 97% of transactions commit because Oracle has slow rollbacks and
> developers are working around that performance issue, or because they
> really commit?

Again, off-topic, but 97% of all transactions commit according to Jim
Gray and his research... not anything related to Oracle.

> I have watched several developers that would prefer to issue numerous
> selects to verify things like foreign keys in the application in
> order to avoid a rollback.

That's just bad development.

> Anyway, I don't have experience with big Oracle applications but I'm
> not so sure that 97% of transactions would commit if rollbacks were
> cheaper.

Again, stats not related to Oracle, but databases in general.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301