Re: PostgreSQL vs. SQL Server, Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. SQL Server, Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 10/11/06, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> I'd think you of all people would be a little peeved at having your
> support dismissed this way by their failure to mention that your kind
> of support was available.

Neither was ours, but that's not the point behind open source and
PostgreSQL... PostgreSQL is free and available for community-based
support... there's nothing wrong with that and I don't consider it a
dismissal at all.

> That's a start :)  You'll notice what I started this off with, which
> is "With friends like these..."  These guys wrote a book on
> PostgreSQL.  They should know better, but for some reason have decided
> to spread a bunch of FUD.

Honestly, these guys are professional authors who churn out book after
book.  They do a little research and write the book; it's in no way
representative of the in-depth knowledge available in the community...
just a good place to start.

I don't think they were spreading FUD, just aiming statements for
small/medium businesses who are paying big bucks for Oracle, SQL
Server, et al.  They aren't PostgreSQL professionals... just authors
trying to promote PostgreSQL a little bit.  Chill out man :)

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301