Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze  (Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> > I don't really think anyone would want to run both, but
> > that's just my opinion.
>
> On what grounds do you not think that?

Too much Java overhead on one database and PL/J isn't that stable.
I've run into several crash problems with it before.

> PL/J uses an external JVM, PL/Java one that is running in the
> backend process.  (Or maybe it was the other way 'round, I'm too
> tired to remember tonight.)

While tired, you're still correct :)

> That's a really fundamental difference that makes them suited for very different
> applications; not to mention the resulting different licensing scenarios.

Not really, both require a JVM so the same licensing still applies.

> The points that have been made in this thread about PL/J not being
> actively maintained are important, but other than that objection,
> I can see no reason that PL/J wouldn't have an equal claim to inclusion
> in core.

I'm being objective here, and PL/J is not nearly as stable or
well-maintained... that means a lot to me or to anyone who looks at
using a Java PL.  Do we intend to ship both and say that one is less
capable?  Have you used either of them?  Don't get me wrong, I like
PL/J in concept... but it's just not even close to production-ready
yet.  I know of no one using PL/J in production and about 40 or so
people using PL/Java.

> Perhaps more, because it gives us an extra layer of insulation
> from JVM licensing questions.

Again, I don't believe so.  I'd like to hear how Dave thinks so, though.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301