SQL92 standard conformance [was Re: [SQL] OUTER JOINS in 6.4.2?? Work around?? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject SQL92 standard conformance [was Re: [SQL] OUTER JOINS in 6.4.2?? Work around??
Date
Re: SQL92 standard conformance [was Re: [SQL] OUTER JOINS in 6.4.2?? Work around??  (Herouth Maoz <herouth@oumail.openu.ac.il>)
List pgsql-sql
Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> All I could find on the web site was that PostgreSQL supports a subset of
> SQL92 and SQL3.  Is there someplace that tells what that subset is?

This is a very important question for PostgreSQL as a whole. Does anyone
know what is missing to claim SQL92 compliance? I can get my higher-ups
to agree that we should adopt software based on it's conformance to
existing standards, to avoid the proprietary lock-in problem. This is
usually my strategy for getting Open Source software in ;-) since it
conforms so much better (usually)  When I discovered PostgrSQL is a
little short in that department, I've had to mumble and hand-wave a
little.

Some of us postgreSQL users could help the core developers a lot on
this. I'd love to see an extension of the DB comparison table on the web
page, with SQL standard features listed.

I realize the actual text of the SQL92 standard must be purchased, but
is there a 'bullet list' version anywhere? I can't seem to find one via
altavista.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer