Re: Problems with hash join over nested loop - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problems with hash join over nested loop
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jim Nasby <jnasby@enova.com> writes:
> I'm also wondering if it's time to raise those limits.

Yeah, possibly.  The current default values were set on machines much
smaller/slower than most current hardware.

I think also that the collapse limits were invented mainly to keep people
out of GEQO's clutches, but we've made some significant fixes in GEQO
since then.  Maybe the real answer is to make the default collapse limits
much higher, and lower geqo_threshold to whatever we think the threshold
of pain is for applying the regular planner.

            regards, tom lane