Re: [HACKERS] Re: XML (was: 2 patches) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Goran Thyni
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: XML (was: 2 patches)
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: XML (was: 2 patches)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Goran Thyni wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I vote against it.  Maybe nice to have as an extra, but the base
> > > protocol seems to work well, and is fast.
> >
> > You are right,
> > let me rephrase myself:
> > - the "base protocol" might become obsolite if and when we have
> >   a better object base alternative (CORBA and/or XML).
> > - this might be the case for v. 7.0 or later.
>
> Okay, we have to sides to the coin here...Bruce, who feels that our
> current protocol is both good and fast, and you, who wants to replace it
> :)
>
> My question is simple...what benefit is gained by replacing current
> protocol?  And, what cons?
>
> Replacing something is great, if there is a reason...what is that reason
> and how does that improve us?

Marc,

The pros, IMHO:
* XML interfaces better to the object model of pgsql itself
* XML interfaces better to XML-viewer, like next generation of web browsers.

With a little imagination we can at some point in the future forget
about making clients for the databases, just point your webbrowser
at the serverport a make both SELECTs (displays) and INSERT/UPDATE
(forms) with a few lines of javascript.

The con:
* We have a good stable protocol but a little simplistic. Anything new is not as good until it has matured.

Thus I not suggesting replacing it until we have something
better, sound resonable?
mvh,
--
Göran Thyni