Re: pg_basebackup + incremental base backups - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Pereira
Subject Re: pg_basebackup + incremental base backups
Date
List pgsql-general
>> In case of big databases, can we do incremental backups with pg_basebackup?
> pg_basebackup doesn't support incremental backups, though there's been
> discussion of adding some kind of support for it, check -hackers if
> you're curious.
>
>> Is there any alternative?
> There's a few different alternatives for PG backup software, some of
> which support incremental backups and restores.  I'm personally involved
> with pgbackrest- https://pgbackrest.org though there's other options out
> there also (wal-g, barman, and more).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,

We tried pgbackrest as a solution to rebuild the standby cluster, by
making a differential backup of the primary cluster.

But it seems that pgbackrest is only able to rebuild the standby cluster
by restoring an existing backup from a repository cluster, and not
directly from the primary cluster.

We are afraid that creating a backup on the repository cluster is an
additional step that could be avoided.

Is there some way to rebuild the standby cluster by doing a differential
backup of the primary cluster directly?