Re: psql command aliases support - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql command aliases support
Date
Re: psql command aliases support  (Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de>)
List pgsql-patches
Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> writes:
> please find attached a patch which implements psql command aliases. They
> work the same way as on bash, zsh and others, for example:

> #= \alias d \dt+
> #= \d

Do we really want such a thing?  The space of backslash command names
is so densely populated already that it's hard to imagine creating
aliases without conflicting with existing (or future) command names
--- as indeed your example does.  It seems like mostly a recipe for
confusion.

            regards, tom lane